Beaulieu Vineyards #11
Beaulieu (Beautiful Place) Vineyards was founded by George de Latour in Rutherford in 1900. In 2007, Beaulieu Vineyards received an award from Friends of the River recognizing Exceptional Actions and Dedication to Environmental Conservation. Visit www.bvwines.com.
This is a large 336-acre site with numerous waterways. This ranch stretches from Highway 29 on the west where Nash Creek enters the property, encompasses the Napa River, and extends farther east to the alluvial fan of Selby Creek. Revegetation of these waterways with native plants is part of this site’s farm plan.
The 35-acre Chabot Vineyard borders Bell Canyon Creek and extends partway up adjacent hillsides. Removing invasive plants and planting natives along the creek is part of the farm plan for this site.
Chateau Montelena Estate Vineyard
Dancing Bear Ranch
Only 28 acres are farmed on this 194-acre site on Howell Mountain. The vineyard managers use motion sensors, cameras, and high fencing to monitor the presence of a resident family of bears, and typically lose several thousand dollars of grapes to the bears’ late summer snacking.
Davis Estates - Calistoga
Diamond Mountain Ranch
This 120-acre ranch is located on slopes near the top of Diamond Mountain, west of Calistoga. The limited water in this area encourages dry-farmed grapes on smaller vines. Intensive management is used to assure soil conservation on the steep terraced vineyards.
This 160-acre site borders Simmons Creek and the volcanic hills of the rocky eastern side of upper Napa Valley. Grapes are grown using organic and biodynamic methods. A revegetation project using drought-resistant native plants was completed along Simmons Creek as part of this site’s the Araujo’s farm plan. Vineyards take up 39 acres, leaving a significant wildlife area.
This 7-acre site developed by Dick and Edie Englehard is surrounded by oak woodland.
Jericho Canyon Vineyard
The Old Lawley Toll Road, which once allowed stage coaches and horse-pulled wagons to travel to Lake County, now leads to Jericho Canyon vineyard. This 152-acre site surrounds Jericho Canyon Creek, and owner Dale Bleecher manages the creek for native habitats by removing invasive plants.
These vineyards occupy the valley floor directly below the Sterling Vineyards winery. The site is being managed to eradicate invasive non-native plants such as Giant reed and tree-of-heaven from the Napa River corridor.
Lee E Titus and Sons Vineyards Family Estate
Monitor Ledge Vineyard
The 43.5 acre Monitor Ledge Vineyard is located on the Selby Creek alluvial fan on the volcanic side of the upper Napa Valley. The largely dry Selby Creek fan supports drought-tolerant plants such as pine and manzanita.
Montesol LLC Vineyard
Nissen Vineyards Home Ranch
Located at the western boundary of Napa County, approximately half of this 100-acre site is planted to vineyard. The managers of this site are working toward dry-farming to reduce their water use.
Poston Crest Vineyard
This small vineyard in the headwaters of the Napa River is managed with the strategic use of deer-friendly fencing around only the vineyard portion of the property.
Salvestrin Wine Company – Crystal Springs Ranch
This site at the base of Howell Mountain contains a vigorous year-round spring that feeds the small creek on the property. The vineyards are set back from the creek, providing an opportunity for the manager to work with FFF staff to revegetate the creek corridor.
Schramsberg Estate Vineyard and Winery
Jacob Schram purchased this 277-acre site on Diamond Mountain in 1862 and developed vineyards and a winery. In 1965, the Davies family purchased and restored the site, including 50 acres of vineyard. Repair of older roads was completed as part of the farm plan to protect water quality in on-site creeks.